Uganda – Indigenous peoples
CHAPTER FOUR: STRATEGIES AND INTERVENTIONS STRATEGIES
OBJECTIVE 3: To promote meaningful and effective participation and respect for consent by relevant stakeholders in business operations.
4.3.1 Promoting FPIC for communities in all business operations
- Review and enact laws guaranteeing FPIC (Free, Prior and Informed Consent), particularly ensuring meaningful consultations with vulnerable groups, such as women, persons with disabilities, indigenous persons, ethnic minorities and persons living with HIV and AIDS.
CHAPTER FIVE: INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK
5.4 Business entities
ii. Ensure free prior and informed consent in acquisition of land and other properties for business operations.
The strategic implementation framework in the 1.0 Appendices includes:
- Objective 3.0 (Appendices) Improvement in the business entities’ duty to ensure Free Prior and Informed Consent in investment and other business undertakings
Budgeted outputs in Annex I include:
- Review and enact laws guaranteeing FPIC (Objective 3.0)
- Developing guidelines and policies regarding land acquisition, compensation and resettlement of the affected communities (Objective 3.0)
- Strengthening effective and meaningful community participation in business operations (Objective 3.0)
- Strengthen social protection interventions for the vulnerable groups affected by business operations. (Objective 4.0)